Switches and routers are the backbones of any network. One is for routing your data to different devices, while the other makes sure all that information gets to its proper destination by directing it through a switching process. But what exactly does each device do?
Find out more about switches VS routers here!
What is a Switch?
Switches are intelligent, high-performance hubs that can be programmed to decide which devices go where. The switch learns the unique MAC address of each device and records this information for future reference as it sends data back and forth between different ports on the network.
A typical network switch has a centralized point of control, from which it can determine the best path for packets. The device identifies data on one port and uses its address records to identify where that information came from and whether or not that destination is relevant. That ensures efficiency when bandwidth becomes limited by providing only appropriate devices are being sent traffic while also enhancing local security as unauthorized users will find themselves blocked at every turn.
What is a Router?
A router is a device that connects two different networks. It does this using intelligent software to read the data and determine which network it needs to send information to. That allows any other devices on either of these networks. Such as your laptop, iPad, or smartphone from connecting. Suppose they are both online at the same time!
A typical router provides at least the following services:
- Several Ethernet ports
- What would happen if you didn't have a NAT device? Without the "NAT" translating your IP addresses, all of your devices on the network could potentially start using up one public-facing address and cause problems. That's why it is necessary to use changeable private IPs so that they can be translated into a single external or public-facing IP for connection purposes!
- You can't have a good time on the Internet without DHCP. This protocol assigns your device a unique IP address and will allow it to connect to the web. Your computer will be given this number for a limited period before being renewed or reassigned by one of our many technicians to ensure you're always able to access things online from any location at any time!
- DNS converts all domain names into IP addresses so your router knows where to direct outgoing traffic.
What Are Mesh Routers?
A mesh router is an excellent solution for those constantly frustrated with the internet connection in their home. The main router connects to your modem, and then multiple nodes or satellite modules you put around the house will expand coverage throughout every room. It's perfect for households where everyone wants an uninterrupted Wi-Fi signal on their devices!
(1) Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 Wireless Router
What would you do if your internet connection or cellular data doesn't have enough space for all of the video games, YouTube videos, and Netflix movies? That's where Linksys Max-Stream comes in. The network management app helps prioritize each device so that more bandwidth can be dedicated to what matters most at any given moment.
- Capacity for more than 12 connected devices
- Easy to set up with a smartphone app
- Only offers dual-band Wi-Fi
(2) TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
If you want a router that performs as well or is better than the competition but doesn't have enough money to spend on an expensive one, then TP-Link Archer A7 is your best bet. It outperforms other routers in its price range and has 1750 Mbps of high-speed internet which is fast enough for many households with up to 4K streams.
However, it lacks some advanced features in pricier options; if this doesn't bother you and your primary concern is performance at a budget-friendly cost, go ahead!
- Alexa integration available
- Great price
- Low max throughput
(3) Netgear Nighthawk AX12 Wi-Fi 6 Tri-Band Wireless Router
The Netgear Nighthawk is the best wireless router you can buy! You'll never have to worry about dead zones or lack of a connection again because this product features three streams and is long-range. Plus, it has sped up to 10.8 Gbps, so your devices will work at their highest potential of all time! With its plethora of ports for both wired connections and multiple USB 2.0s on board, there's no stopping what you want to do with this powerful piece of equipment- it accommodates nearly any imaginable need!
- Ethernet port aggregation for multiple gigabits
- Wi-Fi 6 abilities
- Higher price than others
(4) TP-Link Archer AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 Router
The TP-Link WiFi 6 is an excellent choice for anyone upgrading their internet connection. It even comes with a six and five-gigahertz dual-band, the latest WiFi technology in 2019. With eight antennas that provide full range coverage, this router can be used anywhere you can access high-speed internet!
The best thing about it? The manufacturer offers 24/7 customer service if anything goes wrong or there’s trouble setting up your new system!
- Compatible with Alexa
- 2.5 Gbps WAN port
- Can’t disable QoS features
(5) ASUS RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Gaming Router
The ASUS RT is the best of both worlds. It's optimized for gaming, but it can run anything you want to do with its features like adaptive QoS and strong range. There are four Ethernet ports, so your devices will stay connected while providing a fast connection without any worry about interference from other networks running on that spectrum!
- Wi-Fi coverage of about 5,000 square feet
- Online gaming optimization
- No multiple-gigabit ethernet ports
- Much larger than other router options
Find Out More
In today's modern workplace, we can't rely on our desktop computers alone to keep the business running smoothly. We need a reliable network infrastructure that will help your employees communicate with each other and access essential data no matter where they are in the building or how many people are trying to use it at any given time. That's why finding the perfect router for you. Switches and hubs have become so vital not only because of their versatility but also their importance when it comes down to security concerns too!
Whether you're looking for the Best internet service provider availability varies by location, but finding the best providers near you is easy with Ctvforme. We've researched to help you compare pricing, speeds, features, and more from 50+ of the State's best internet providers, all in one place. You'll find our US location map and tips for finding the right provider.